Homeopathic Teething Remedies
Homeopathic teething remedies linked to infant death
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning to consumers that homeopathic teething tablets and gels may be extremely dangerous to infants. The agency cautions parents and care providers to immediately discontinue using these products.
Homeopathic teething remedies are suspected in 10 infant deaths and in over 400 cases of serious illness in children, including seizures.
The products in question have been sold at CVS, Hyland’s and possibly elsewhere. Brand names include:
- Baby Orajel Naturals Gel for Teething Pain, .33 oz
- Baby Orajel Naturals Gel for Teething Pain Nighttime Formula, .33 oz
- Baby Orajel Naturals Tablets for Teething Pain, 125 Count
- CVS Homeopathic Infants’ Teething Tablet, 135 Count
- CVS Homeopathic Infants’ Teething Liquid, .85 oz
- Hyland’s Baby Nighttime Teething Tablets, 135 Count
- Hyland’s Baby Teething Gel, .5 oz
- Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets, 13 Count
- Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets, 135 Count
- Hyland’s Teething Gel, .33 oz
At least one brand of homeopathic teething remedies, Hyland’s, uses trace amounts of belladonna, also known as “deadly nightshade.” Although it has anti-inflammatory qualities, it is considered to be one of the most toxic plants in the world.
Therefore, the FDA advises parents to throw away all homeopathic teething remedies they may have, regardless of manufacturer.
We can help
If your baby or child has suffered serious medical issues after using homeopathic teething tablets or gels, contact Brown and Crouppen today for a free and confidential case evaluation. We can help you make informed decisions about your legal rights. Call us at Toll-Free: 877-448-5415 for your free legal consultation or save time with our online Contact Form.