KANSAS CITY DUI ACCIDENT LAWYER
This content has been written by a team of legal writers and reviewed by Terry Crouppen
If you were in a car accident that involved a driver who was driving under the influence, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit for your damages. A Kansas City DUI accident attorney can pursue all legal avenues to maximize your compensation.
If you have been injured in a DUI accident, you need an experienced Kansas City DUI accident attorney. Brown & Crouppen has a team of attorneys experienced in negotiating with insurance companies and filing DUI accident lawsuits in Kansas City including Crestview and Raytown.
We treat our clients with respect and individual attention. We understand that you have already been through a stressful ordeal, and we will make getting compensation for your injuries as straightforward as possible.
Our results speak for themselves. From car and truck accident victims to victims of Uber accidents, we have successfully represented many clients involved in motor vehicle accidents.
Missouri law doesn’t give you much time to demand compensation for your injuries, so get a free case evaluation today to find out how Brown & Crouppen can help you.
WHAT TO DO AFTER A DUI ACCIDENT
After a DUI accident, you must take certain steps to protect yourself. Your top priority after a DUI accident is seeking medical care for your injuries. A thorough medical exam will ensure that all your injuries are treated swiftly and appropriately, and your medical records will support your legal claims.
Beyond that, you’ll need to file a police report and gather information from others at the scene. Be careful about what you say in the aftermath of the accident, as insurance companies and the at-fault driver can use your statements against you during negotiations and litigation.
TIPS FOR PROTECTING YOURSELF AFTER A DUI ACCIDENT
Our Kansas City car accident attorney will calculate the value of your case and let you know how much you can sue for based on
the circumstances of your case.
- Seek medical attention.
- Call 911 or file a police report.
- Watch what you say.
- Get contact information from the other driver and all witnesses.
- Retain legal counsel.
Once you are medically stable, contact a Kansas City DUI attorney at Brown & Crouppen. A DUI injury lawyer can protect your right to compensation for your damages, whether or not you later decide to file a lawsuit.
And if you do choose to file a lawsuit, time is of the essence. You only have a certain amount of time — called the statute of limitations — to file a claim for a DUI accident, so do not delay.
DRUNK DRIVER ACCIDENT STATISTICS
Drunk driving is the subject of massive public education campaigns for a reason — because it is extremely dangerous. The statistics below demonstrate just how dangerous drunk driving is:
- In 2020, over 11,600 Americans died in car accidents involving alcohol-impaired drivers.
- Almost one-third of all traffic-related deaths in 2018 involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
- Missouri has an even higher death rate from DUI accidents than the national rate.
Alcohol severely limits a driver’s ability to operate a vehicle safely. Many people do not realize how quickly alcohol affects driving ability. According to the CDC, you can expect to see the following effects after drinking:
- After just two drinks — still below the legal limit for many people in most states — a person loses some of the coordination necessary to drive.
- After three drinks, a person has difficulty steering and responding to emergency driving situations.
- After drinking enough just to exceed the legal limit, a person can expect problems with concentration, perception, short-term memory, information processing, and speed control.
- After drinking well over the legal limit, a person will have trouble maintaining lanes, braking, controlling the vehicle, and keeping their attention on driving.
Widespread public awareness campaigns have resulted in a decrease in drunk driving, but unfortunately, it remains all too prevalent. Nearly a quarter of respondents to a survey conducted by the Traffic Injury Research Foundation, USA Inc. reported that they had driven while over the legal limit at least once in 2021, a significant increase from previous years.
And driving under the influence was one of the most common reasons for arrest in 2019, according to the FBI.
TYPES OF DRUNK DRIVER ACCIDENT INJURIES
Because of the effects of alcohol on driving ability, car accidents involving an impaired driver are often more significant than other car accidents. Some of the injuries that can result from a serious car accident include the following:
- Neck injuries/whiplash
- Bone fractures
- Lacerations requiring stitches
- Traumatic brain injury
- Catastrophic injuries (including disfigurement) that require surgical intervention
Unfortunately, in many cases, drunk driving kills. Lawsuits in those cases are for wrongful death.
TYPES OF DAMAGES THAT CAN BE RECOVERED FOLLOWING A DUI ACCIDENT
If you file a DUI accident lawsuit, you might be compensated for your damages. Like victims of other car accidents, you may sue for the following types of damages:
- Medical bills — both past and future — including surgeries, procedures, therapies, hospitalizations, doctor visits, and more
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of normal activities
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
- Property damage
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death
Get started with a free consultation with one of our skilled Personal Injury Lawyers today.
CAR INSURANCE AND DUI ACCIDENTS
Your damages from a DUI accident may be covered by your car insurance or the car insurance of the at-fault driver. But there are many reasons that you cannot rely solely on insurance coverage following a DUI accident, including:
- Your insurance company does not always represent your best interests.
- The most an insurance company has to pay you is determined by the coverage limits of the plan, not the actual amount of damage.
- Some drivers are uninsured or underinsured.
Dealing with insurance companies can be complicated. Don’t go up against these multi-billion-dollar companies alone. At Brown & Crouppen, we work on a contingency-fee basis, so you have nothing to lose by enlisting our support today.
WHY HIRE AN ATTORNEY FOR A DUI ACCIDENT?
Many people think hiring an attorney is necessary only if you wind up in court. But in a DUI accident, an attorney can do much more than represent you at trial, beginning with investigating the accident and collecting evidence.
In addition, a personal injury attorney is invaluable when dealing with insurance companies.
Let an experienced DUI accident attorney from Brown & Crouppen:
- Initiate the claim process and identify the other driver’s policy
- Communicate with the adjuster
- Negotiate a fair settlement
We have the skills, resources, and relationships with insurance agents that can speed the claims process and maximize your recovery.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
Brown & Crouppen Law Firm
2345 Grand Boulevard #675 Kansas City, MO 64108 (816) 670-4701
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULATION