KANSAS CITY SLIP & FALL LAWYER
This page has been written, edited, and reviewed by a team of legal writers following our comprehensive editorial guidelines. This page was approved by Founding Partner, Terry Crouppen who has more than 40 years of legal experience as a personal injury attorney. Our last modified date shows when this page was last reviewed.
Slip and fall injuries (also known as a trip and fall) are a premises liability claim, which is based on an individual slipping or tripping on a property owned by someone else. Often, slip and fall injuries are caused by uneven, wet, icy, or otherwise poorly maintained surfaces. If you or a loved one have suffered serious injuries as a result of a slip and fall accident in Kansas City or surrounding areas, request a free case evaluation from a lawyer at Brown & Crouppen Law Firm.
- Why You Should Talk To A Personal Injury Lawyer After A Slip & Fall Accident In Kansas City
- What A Kansas City Slip & Fall Lawyer Can Do For You
- Common Causes Of Slip & Fall Accidents
- Who Is Liable For My Slip & Fall Accident Injuries?
- Common Types Of Slip & Fall Injuries
- 6 Things To Do (and Not Do) After A Slip & Fall Accident
- Compensation You Can Recover In A Kansas City Slip & Fall Cases
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Request A Free Consultation From A Kansas City Slip & Fall Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next. You might have questions about your rights and whether you should pursue a legal case. Or you might be wondering if you can even afford to hire a lawyer.
The Brown & Crouppen Law Firm of Kansas City is here to help. We’ve been fighting for the rights of personal injury victims in the Kansas City metro area since 1979 and have successfully recovered over $1 billion in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
Get started with your case by calling (816) 670-4701 to request a free case evaluation with one of our experienced slip and fall lawyers. We’re available 24/hours a day and seven days a week to take your call. Our consultations are free, and we work on a contingency basis—so we don’t get paid unless you do.
WHY YOU SHOULD TALK TO A PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER AFTER A SLIP & FALL ACCIDENT IN KANSAS CITY
If you or someone you love has recently sustained a serious injury in a Kansas City slip and fall, then you know how overwhelming and confusing the aftermath can be. Suddenly you are faced with medical bills, lost wages, a painful recovery, and the stress of dealing with insurance companies.
Knowing where to turn or what to do next can be overwhelming. That’s why talking to a personal injury lawyer can be a helpful first step. A personal injury lawyer will help you navigate the complexities of the legal system, fight for your rights, and secure the fair compensation you deserve.
At Brown & Crouppen, we’ve represented Kansas City injury victims for over 40 years. We know what it takes to get results. Our experienced Kansas City personal injury attorneys will work tirelessly on your behalf to bring you the maximum compensation possible.
WHAT A KANSAS CITY SLIP & FALL LAWYER CAN DO FOR YOU
We understand the difficulties life throws at you after sustaining a slip and fall injury. We are here to help you through this trying time so you can focus on what’s most important—recovering from your injuries.
When you hire Brown & Crouppen, we will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation of your accident to identify all liable parties
- Collect evidence to support your personal injury claim—including eyewitness testimony, photos and video footage of the accident scene, and police reports
- Handle all the paperwork and legal filings associated with your case
- Negotiate with the property owner’s insurance company on your behalf, so you don’t have to
- Take your case to trial if necessary
The insurance companies have an army of adjusters and lawyers working on their behalf. So why shouldn’t you have a team of skilled slip and fall attorneys working for you?
COMMON CAUSES OF SLIP & FALL ACCIDENTS
All too often, slip and fall victims wrongfully blame themselves or assume that their serious injuries were simply the result of bad luck. But in reality, most slip and fall injuries are preventable and result in negligence by property owners or managers.
The most common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Slippery floors and surfaces caused by spills, leaks, or weather conditions
- Uneven or raised surfaces such as cracked sidewalks or potholes
- Poor lighting in stairwells, parking garages, and other areas
- Objects in walkways such as cords, boxes, or debris
- Icy or snow on sidewalks or parking lots
- Stairwells and escalators in disrepair
- Missing or broken handrails
- Loose carpeting or floor mats
Injuries from slip and fall accidents in the United States are all-to-common and costly. According to the most recent available data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Unintentional slip and fall injuries account for more than 6.8 million emergency room visits annually.
- 42,114 Americans died from unintentional falls in 2020, and they are the leading cause of injury-related death among adults age 65 and older.
- Medical costs for non-fatal fall injuries total about $50 billion per year.
Brown & Crouppen of Kansas City attorneys will thoroughly investigate your personal injury case to determine whether negligence played a role. We will hold the negligent property owner and other parties accountable and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
WHO IS LIABLE FOR MY SLIP & FALL ACCIDENT INJURIES?
Property owners and managers are responsible for keeping their premises safe for visitors. So the critical first step in any premises liability case is determining who is liable for your injuries. In a slip and fall case, there are generally three possible types of defendants:
- The property owner where the accident occurred
- The manager or operator of the property
- A third party such as a contractor, maintenance worker, or security guard hired by the property owner or manager
To hold property owners and operators liable for your injuries, your attorney must first prove that they were negligent. While there is no exact formula for determining liability in premises liability cases, your lawyer must establish that the property owner or manager owed you a “duty of care.” In other words, they were obliged to take reasonable steps to ensure your safety while you were on their property.
For example, a grocery store owner must clean up spills, a landlord needs to fix broken stairs, and a business owner must clear snow and ice from the sidewalk promptly.
If your attorney can establish that a property owner had a duty of care toward you, they must then prove negligence by showing that they:
- Failed to take reasonable steps to prevent or fix the hazardous condition that caused your fall
- Knew or should have known about the threat but did nothing to address it
- Did not warn you about the hazard or post signs to alert you of the danger
Proving negligence in a premises liability case can be a complex process. That’s why it’s vital to have an experienced personal injury attorney on your side every step in this journey.
COMMON TYPES OF SLIP & FALL INJURIES
Slip and fall accidents can cause a wide range of serious injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to life-threatening head injuries.
Some of the most common injuries sustained in slip and fall accidents include:
- Broken bones, especially broken hips
- Dislocated joints
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and other head injuries
- Neck, shoulder, and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Knee and ankle injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Nerve damage
- Severe cuts and lacerations
- Chronic pain
6 THINGS TO DO (AND NOT DO) AFTER A SLIP & FALL ACCIDENT
As soon as you recover from the jolt of your fall, your immediate decisions will impact your long-term recovery and your ability to secure compensation for your injuries.
That’s why it’s critical to know what to do (and not do) after a slip and fall.
- Seek Medical Attention Immediately: Even if you don’t think you’re injured, you should see a doctor or go to the emergency room as soon as possible. Some injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, may not be immediately apparent. And if you wait too long to seek medical treatment, the insurance company may try to use your delay in treatment against you.
- Report the Accident: If you slipped and fell at a store, restaurant, or someone else’s property, report the accident to the manager or owner. If your fall occurred at work, report the accident to your supervisor. If you fell in a public place, such as a sidewalk or park, report the accident to the appropriate authorities. If possible, get a copy of the accident report for your records.
- Get the Contact Information of Any Witnesses: If there are people who saw you fall, be sure to get their names and contact information. Their testimony may be crucial to your case. If possible, record their statements on your phone or write down what they saw.
- Document Everything You Can at the Accident Scene: Use your phone to capture photos and video of the hazard that caused your fall and any visible injuries you sustained. If there’s a security camera at the scene, get the business’s contact information so you can obtain a copy of the footage. Keep a journal detailing your injuries, symptoms, and treatment in the days and weeks following your accident.
- Do Not Sign Any Waivers or Give Recorded Statements to Insurance Companies: After a slip and fall accident, an insurance company adjuster may contact you and ask you to give a recorded statement about the accident. You are not required to provide one, and it’s almost always in your best interest to decline. The insurance company may use your statement against you to minimize or deny your claim.
- Consult With an Experienced Kansas City Slip & Fall Lawyer: If you are considering taking legal action after a slip and fall, consulting with an experienced personal injury lawyer is the best way to protect your rights and ensure that your interests are well represented.
COMPENSATION YOU CAN RECOVER IN A KANSAS CITY SLIP & FALL CASES
The fair settlement value of your slip and fall case will depend on many factors. These include the severity of your injuries to the strength of the evidence in your case.
At Brown & Crouppen Law Firm, we have a long history of successfully representing slip and fall victims in Kansas City and across Missouri and Kansas. We have the experience, resources, and tenacity to get you the recovery award you deserve. Best of all, we don’t get paid unless you do.
Our lawyers can help you recover compensation for the following types of damages:
- Medical bills: A slip and fall injury often leads to medical treatment such as surgery, emergency care, and rehabilitative therapy. No matter your injury, our slip and fall attorneys can help you receive reimbursement for your medical expenses.
- Lost income: Sometimes, slip and fall victims cannot return to work after the accident due to their injuries. Our lawyers take lost wages into account when fighting for compensation.
- Non-economic damages: There are intangible costs, including pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment of life, and permanent disfigurement or disability.
- Punitive damages: Kansas or Missouri courts may award additional punitive damages to plaintiffs if they believe that a property owner’s negligence was particularly egregious.
- Property damages: If your personal property was damaged due to the slip and fall accident, our lawyers would help you seek compensation for repairs or replacements.
You might be entitled to more compensation than you realize. Schedule a free consultation with the Kansas City slip and fall lawyers at Brown & Crouppen today to learn more about the damages you may be owed.
Get started with a free consultation with one of our skilled Personal Injury Lawyers today.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
For accidents that occurred in Kansas, individuals have 2 years from the date of the accident or injury to pursue a slip and fall case. For accidents that occurred in Missouri, individuals have 5 years from the date of the accident or injury to file a claim.
Don’t wait to get the help you need. If you wait too long to take action, the law could bar you from receiving compensation for your injuries.
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION FROM A KANSAS CITY SLIP & FALL LAWYER
Have you or a loved one suffered a serious injury due to a slip and fall? The Brown & Crouppen Law Firm can help you recover compensation for damages, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other injuries or costs.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
Brown & Crouppen Law Firm
2345 Grand Boulevard #675 Kansas City, MO 64108 (816) 670-4701
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION