If you believe you are the victim of a heart attack misdiagnosis, you may feel overwhelmed and alone. But you are not. Our attorneys are here to help.
Each year nearly 5 million people in the U.S. visit emergency rooms with heart attack symptoms, including chest pains. Since heart attack symptoms are similar to a number of common non-life-threatening conditions, doctors may fail to realize the severity of the situation and misdiagnose or fail to timely diagnose a heart attack.
Common Mistakes in Heart Attack Misdiagnosis
According to the New England Journal of Medicine, 1 in 50 heart attacks are incorrectly diagnosed, and the patient is sent home. There are several scenarios in which a heart attack may be misdiagnosed, including:
- failure to diagnose a heart attack in younger patients
- women are seven times more likely to have their heart attack misdiagnosed than men
- improper ECG reading — a normal ECG does not always rule out a heart attack; one study showed that up to 23% of misdiagnosed heart attacks were due to the improper reading of a patient’s ECG
The proper diagnosis of a heart attack can often be difficult due to the non-specific nature of some symptoms. Nevertheless, careful and attentive consideration of all factors is critical to the patient’s survival and recovery. A doctor may fail to properly assess:
- patient age
- previous heart conditions
- medical history and drug interactions (oral contraceptives and hormone replacement therapy can increase the risk of heart attack)
- patient lifestyle (exercise, alcohol or drug use)
- complaints of pain (including pain to the jaw, arm, neck or back)
- low-grade fever
- multiple symptoms (including nausea, fatigue, shortness of breath, weakness, dizziness, fainting, lightheadedness, vomiting, paleness)
Please consult your physician before discontinuing any medication.
Get the Care and Help You and Your Loved One Deserve
Unfortunately, doctors sometimes misdiagnose or fail to timely diagnose heart attacks. If you suspect that you or a loved one is a victim of malpractice, time is of the essence. Consult one of our medical malpractice lawyers immediately to discuss your case. This is the first step in protecting your rights.
For more than 40 years, the law firm of Brown & Crouppen has been helping the victims of medical error get the justice they deserve. Our attorneys will work diligently to help you recover money for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering caused by a misdiagnosed heart attack.
Every day, Brown & Crouppen fights for the rights of people like you, who may have been the victim of medical malpractice.
Get A Free Case Evaluation from the Personal Injury Lawyers at Brown & Crouppen
Getting started is easy. You can call us at 800-536-4357 for a free consultation, or tell us about your case with our Free Case Review form. And remember, there’s no upfront cost to you — if you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid.
- Personal Injury
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Workers’ Compensation
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Product Liability
- 3M Earplugs Lawsuit
- Defective Airbag Attorneys
- General Motors Ignition Switch
- Hernia Mesh
- Hip Replacement
- Industrial Equipment
- Infant Formula
- IVC Filter
- Lead Paint
- Morcellators and Leiomyosarcoma
- Paragard® Copper IUD
- Roundup Lawsuit
- Food Poisoning/Tainted Produce
- Talcum Powder Lawsuit
- Vehicle Defects and Recalls
- Philips CPAP Machine Recall
- Dangerous Drugs
- Medical Malpractice
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Wrongful Death