Trucking accidents involve large trucks such as over-the-road tractor-trailers or “semi-trucks.” They are generally the most deadly we see at Brown & Crouppen. The sheer size of big rigs makes them particularly dangerous in a truck crash.
The law firm of Brown & Crouppen has helped truck accident victims since 1979.
Large Commercial Trucks — Too Big, Too Fast
- The statistics are frightening: Every year in the United States, commercial truck accidents cause over 5,000 wrongful deaths and 80,000 injuries.
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), which regulates commercial vehicles, defines a “large truck” as a truck with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 10,000 pounds.
- A fully loaded, over-the-road semi-truck can weigh up to 80,000 pounds without needing any extra permits.
- The average passenger car only weighs about 4,000 pounds.
- The majority of the injuries and fatalities in truck accident cases are the passengers in the car, not the truck drivers themselves.
- Tractor-trailers can legally drive as fast as 70 miles per hour in many places. And many truckers speed to deliver their trailers on time.
Driver fatigue is a significant factor in many semi-truck accidents. Lack of sleep is the underlying cause of many serious injuries and even wrongful deaths. Experienced truck accident lawyers, like the team at Brown & Crouppen, understand the factors behind these kinds of injury cases.
The FMCSA limit on driving commercial trucks is 11 hours in a 14-hour period, followed by at least 10 hours off, but many truck drivers face tremendous pressure to deliver their cargo on time and may exceed the allowed driving time to meet a deadline. Driver fatigue leads to driver error, which results in a serious truck crash.
Driver fatigue isn’t the only factor in truck accident claims. Other common causes of truck collisions include blind spots, cell phone usage, disregard of speed limits, and other driver errors.
The Brown & Crouppen Advantage – Experienced Truck Accident Lawyers on Your Side
Brown & Crouppen truck accident attorneys know how to pursue a trucking accident case. When you contact us to talk about your trucking accident, our truck accident lawyers can guide you through the entire process.
- We address the liability, or negligence, issues in the accident. We know what it takes to prove who was at fault for the accident.
- The evidence in truck accident cases can be very different from a car accident between two passenger vehicles. Our truck accident attorneys know what evidence to collect.
- We also know how to show the types and extent of the injuries victims of trucking accidents suffer. Personal injuries aren’t just physical. They can be emotional, mental, and economic injuries, as well. Lost wages, medical expenses, and the loss of a loved one’s companionship can all be injuries, too. Common personal injury claims in truck collisions include:
- broken bones
- traumatic brain injury
- catastrophic injuries, including disfigurement
- wrongful death
- Our lawyers know which documentation to gather, which experts to consult, and which evidence — such as black box records, accident scene reports, medical reports, and medical bills —to present to a jury.
- Our lawyers know how to fight the insurance companies and trucking companies. It is not unusual for more than one insurance company to be involved in an injury claim after a tractor-trailer accident. We have the experience to handle the complicated claims process.
- Most importantly, we work for you and your loved ones— not the trucking company. Our law firm is dedicated to fighting for justice, and we have the track record to back it up with more than $1 billion won in personal injury cases.
Personal Injury Lawyers with Inside Knowledge of the Trucking Industry
Many of our highly experienced personal injury attorneys started their careers working on behalf of trucking companies. They understand how the system works and how truck accident claims are processed. They know how trucking companies and their insurance providers give low initial settlement offers, and they know where to look for additional insurance coverage that can provide compensation for your medical bills and other expenses.
At the law firm of Brown & Crouppen, our truck accident attorneys work hard to take care of you and make this process easier.
It All Starts with a Free Case Evaluation from the Personal Injury Team at Brown & Crouppen
Getting started is easy. You can call us at 800-536-4357 for a free consultation, or tell us about your case with our Free Case Review form. And remember, there’s no upfront cost to you — if you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid.
- Personal Injury
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Workers’ Compensation
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Product Liability
- Dangerous Drugs
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death