Infant Formula: A Possible Link to Infant Sickness and Death
In 2011, retail giant Walmart nationally recalled the baby formula Enfamil after two Missouri infants were sickened with a rare Cronobacter bacterial infection that could be linked to powder-based infant formula. One of the infants died.
While not widely known by the public but known to manufacturers and doctors for decades, negligent and unsanitary manufacturing of infant formula and powdered infant formula has been causing injuries and death to children.
Symptoms of Cronobacter Infection
Parents of newborn and/or immune-compromised infants should always be alert for any changes in their baby’s health, especially these symptoms of Cronobacter infection:
- poor feeding response
- grunting while breathing
- unstable body temperature
Symptoms of Meningitis
This type of bacterial infection can turn into meningitis, an inflammation of the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord. Signs of meningitis in newborns include:
- high fever
- constant crying
- excessive sleepiness or sluggishness
- a bulge in the soft spot atop the baby’s head
- stiffness in the neck
With proper and swift treatment, children can recover from these serious infections, but it is critical that parents seek medical help immediately.
What Should I Do If My Child Becomes Ill as a Results of Infant Formula?
If your child becomes ill as a result of infant formula, you should:
- see a doctor
- save what is left of the formula, nursery water, bottles, and other tools that were used to make the formula so that it can be analyzed
- report the incident to your local Department of Health
- save all written evidence of purchase such as receipts and checks
- obtain names and phone numbers of all witnesses
- notify the infant formula seller of the purchase and the illness and make a note of the name and position of the person notified
- contact a lawyer at Brown & Crouppen at 800-536-4357 to represent you if your child has been diagnosed with any illness from infant formula
Has Your Child Been Sickened Due to a Tainted Infant Formula? Contact the Lawyers of Brown & Crouppen.
If your child suffered a serious illness after being given infant formula, it may be best to consult an attorney. Call Brown & Crouppen at 800-536-4357 for your free legal consultation, or tell us about your case with our Free Case Review form. And remember, there’s no upfront cost to you — if you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid.
- Personal Injury
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Workers’ Compensation
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Product Liability
- Dangerous Drugs
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death