Brett is an attorney at Brown & Crouppen, where he prosecutes cases on behalf of those injured due to nursing home abuse and neglect, motor vehicle accidents, truck accidents, and insurance bad faith. Since joining Brown & Crouppen in 2015, Brett has helped his clients get the compensation they deserve, including a $15 million settlement for a client who suffered a traumatic brain injury in a motor vehicle accident and a $1 million settlement in a nursing home abuse and neglect case.
Before joining Brown & Crouppen, Brett was principal at the St. Louis law firm of Brown & James, P.C., one of the largest litigation firms in Missouri. While there, he gained valuable experience defending corporations and individuals in a wide variety of personal injury cases. Brett then moved to Kansas City to join Brown & Crouppen to represent the interests of those injured by others’ negligence.
Brett is licensed to practice law in Missouri and Kansas and received his law degree from the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law.
Areas of practice
- University of Missouri School of Law — Columbia, Missouri
Juris Doctor, 2000
- Villanova University — Villanova, Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Arts, 1997
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys
- Kansas Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
Awards and Recognition
- Super Lawyers,® 2015-2020
- Confidential v. Confidential, Jackson County, Missouri (January 2019). $1 million settlement on behalf of a client’s father, who was a resident at a Kansas City, Missouri nursing home. The client’s father, who was on a restricted diet, was allowed to eat a piece of fruit that he choked on and, as a result, died several days later.
- Aundre Hobbs, Jr. v. James Gorham, Wyandotte County, Kansas (January 2018). $15 million settlement for a client who suffered a traumatic brain injury in a motor vehicle accident. Defendant Gorham’s insurance company first denied liability but later voluntarily paid $15 million even though the policy limits were $100,000.
- Damian Gloyd v. Troy Shankles, Cass County, Missouri (December 2017). $61,603.01 verdict for a client who suffered soft-tissue injuries in a motor vehicle accident.
- John Adams v. Statewide Public Safety, Jackson County, Missouri (December 2013). $1.3 million verdict for a client injured by a private security guard.
- Garry and Linda Schwab v. Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission, Jackson County, Missouri (November 2013). $200,000 verdict for clients injured by a defective highway guardrail.
- Phillip Dennis v. District Public Safety, Jackson County, Missouri (December 2012). $100,000 verdict for a client injured due to negligence of a private security company.
- Jeffery Washington v. Club NRG, LLC, Jackson County, Missouri (August 2012). $250,000 verdict for a client injured by a patron outside downtown Kansas City nightclub.
- Elicia McCoy v. Marten Transport, Ltd., United States District Court of Wyoming (June 2011). $300,000 verdict for a client injured by a fatigued tractor-trailer driver.
- Eldred Davis v. Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission, Lafayette County, Missouri (May 2011). $150,000 verdict for client injured due to dangerous highway conditions.
Get the expertise and experience you need
Working with an experienced attorney like Brett is simple. Call us at 800-536-4357 for a free consultation, or tell us about your case with our Free Case Review form. And remember, there’s no upfront cost to you — if you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid.