Stephen is an attorney at Brown & Crouppen, where he represents individuals and their families in complex personal injury cases. Before joining Brown & Crouppen in 2021, Stephen handled personal injury, wrongful death, products liability, and employment retaliation and discrimination cases.
Stephen is licensed to practice in Missouri and Kansas. He received his law degree from the University of Kansas School of Law, where he participated in both an In-House Moot Court Competition and an In-House Mock Trial. Stephen also completed Appellate Advocacy with Kansas Supreme Court Justice Caleb Stegall.
In addition to his work at Brown & Crouppen, Stephen has participated in KCMBA’s Ask-A-Lawyer telethon and has volunteered with the Jackson County Family Court as counsel for parents who need representation.
When not practicing law, Stephen enjoys singing, playing guitar, snow skiing, and snowboarding. He also loves to watch the Chiefs and Royals with his rescue dog Bruiser.
- February 2023: second chaired trial and obtained verdict for Plaintiff who injured pre-existing condition to her knee — subsequently requiring a total knee replacement — when she slipped and fell on vegetable oil at Defendant’s Hy-Vee in Johnson County, Kansas
Notable Case Wins
- $500K Licensed Care Provider Abuse & Neglect Settlement For Developmentally Disabled Client Who Suffered Burns
$800K settlement reached in a third party assault case for client who suffered permanent injuries
- Pre-suit $250K policy limits offer for client who suffered a head injury when they were struck by a car while riding a bicycle
- Pre-suit $100K policy limits offer for client who suffered a head injury in a motor vehicle collision
- University of Kansas School of Law – Lawrence, Kansas
Juris Doctor, 2018
- Wichita State University – Wichita, Kansas
Bachelor of Arts, General Studies with an English Lit Emphasis, Magna Cum Laude, 2014
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys
- Kansas Trial Lawyers Association
- Co-chair of KCMBA Young Lawyers Section Social Committee (2023 – present)
- Treasurer of KCMBA Young Lawyers Section (2024)
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Super Lawyers Rising Star in Kansas & Missouri (2022-2023)
- Completed KCMBA Bar Leadership Academy 2022
- Competed in Ross T. Roberts Trial Academy – KCMBA 2019-2020