Tom is an experienced attorney at Brown & Crouppen, dedicated to advocating on behalf of injured persons against insurance companies. Since joining Brown & Crouppen in 2008, Tom has worked tirelessly to obtain fair results on behalf of his clients, including as a member of a team that secured a $618,000 jury verdict in Jackson County, Missouri Circuit Court in 2012. He has also been involved in several other successful jury verdicts and appeals in Jackson County, Clay County, Wyandotte County, Johnson County, and the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Western District. Tom has been named to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 every year since 2012.
Tom is licensed to practice in Kansas and Missouri and has represented clients and resolved cases on both sides of the state line. He received his law degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. While in law school, Tom received multiple honors, including placing second in the American Moot Court Association’s National Tournament and named Top Speaker. He also was part of the UMKC Law Review team and earned 5th Place in the CEDA Debate National Championships in 1990. He graduated from William Jewell College in Liberty, Missouri with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics.
In addition to his work at Brown & Crouppen, Tom has been involved in several pro bono juvenile and family court cases in Jackson County, Missouri, including one that went to trial and led to a successful appeal in the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Western District. He also founded a downtown Kansas City business development organization and was involved in Kansas City’s downtown renaissance in the early 2000s. Tom is involved with DEBATE – Kansas City, which encourages student participation in high school debate programs in the inner city.
When not practicing law, Tom enjoys spending time with friends and family, traveling, jogging, and weight training. He also enjoys cheering on the Kansas City Chiefs, Kansas City Royals, and Missouri Tigers.
Area of practice
- University of Missouri-Kansas City — Kansas City, Missouri
Juris Doctor, 1993
- William Jewell College — Liberty, Missouri
Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, Politics, and Economics, 1990
- St. Peters College, Oxford University — Oxford, England
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys
- Kansas Trial Lawyers Association
Awards & Recognition
- National Trial Lawyers “Top 100 Lawyers”
- Settled a $6,000,000 personal injury claim in November of 2020
- Participated in a $618,000 jury verdict in Jackson County, Missouri Circuit Court in 2012.
- Has been involved in several other successful jury verdicts and appeals in Jackson County, Clay County, Wyandotte County, Johnson County, and the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Western District.
Get the expertise and experience you need
Working with an experienced attorney like Tom is simple. Call us at 816-756-1461 for a free consultation, or tell us about your case with our Free Case Review form. And remember, there’s no upfront cost to you — if you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid.