St. Louis Jackknife Accident Lawyer
This page has been written, edited, and reviewed by a team of legal writers following our comprehensive editorial guidelines. This page was approved by Founding Partner, Terry Crouppen who has more than 40 years of legal experience as a personal injury attorney. Our last modified date shows when this page was last reviewed.
It is incredibly dangerous when a commercial truck’s trailer swings in a different direction than the cab. This action, called jackknifing, can cause the truck driver to lose control and crash into other vehicles. Jackknife accident victims often suffer serious injuries that change their lives forever. If you were hurt in a jackknife truck accident, an experienced St. Louis jackknife accident lawyer from Brown & Crouppen can help you get the compensation you deserve.
- What Is a Jackknife Truck Accident?
- Why Hire an Attorney for a Truck Accident?
- How Can Brown & Crouppen Help after a Jackknife Accident?
- Who Is Liable in a Jackknife Truck Accident?
- What Are the Common Causes of Jackknife Accidents?
- What Compensation Can You Claim in a Jackknife Truck Accident?
- Schedule a Free Case Evaluation Today
When a commercial truck loses control, other drivers often pay the price. An accident caused by a jackknifing truck can often result in catastrophic injuries, serious property damage, and long-term mental and emotional suffering. Accident victims and their loved ones are left with expensive medical bills and long recovery periods that leave families without an income. On top of that, insurance companies may try to minimize a victim’s losses and pressure them to accept less than they deserve.
If you or a loved one was injured in a jackknife truck accident in St. Louis, you may qualify to claim compensation for your financial losses. The St. Louis jackknife accident attorneys at Brown & Crouppen have the knowledge and skills needed to help you get justice. Schedule a free consultation with our team to learn more about your legal options and how we can help you maximize your claim.
What Is a Jackknife Truck Accident?
A jackknifing truck accident happens when a big rig’s trailer sways or begins to move at a different speed than the truck’s cab. This action causes the truck’s cab and trailer to buckle or fold, making the trailer perpendicular to the cab and causing the truck to lose control.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, loaded tractor-trailers need about 200 feet to safely stop when traveling at 55 miles per hour in ideal conditions. If a truck driver brakes too late or doesn’t account for road conditions when stopping, it can lead to a jackknife accident.
Because of the weight of commercial trucks and their cargo, they can do a lot of damage if they jackknife and collide with other vehicles. While some jackknifing truck accidents cannot be prevented, driver negligence or recklessness causes many.
Why Hire an Attorney for a Truck Accident?
A jackknife truck accident can have devastating results for accident victims and their families. You may feel like your life has turned upside down without a way to get back on track financially. Working with a skilled attorney means you have an experienced professional on your side who will guide you through the legal process and handle the steps of claiming compensation.
Another benefit of hiring a truck accident attorney is their ability to push back against unfair insurance adjusters. A trusted lawyer can often get you more than the insurance company’s initial offer. Hiring a truck accident lawyer after a jackknife crash can help you navigate crucial steps in the process and get the maximum amount for your claim.
How Can Brown & Crouppen Help after a Jackknife Accident?
At Brown & Crouppen, our focus is helping accident victims get the financial compensation they need and deserve. We are a trusted name in the Midwest with a long track record of successful truck accident cases. Our full-service law firm offers the following:
- Over four decades of experience with personal injury claims
- More than $1 billion in settlements and verdicts won for clients
- A team of over 250 legal professionals and experienced lawyers
- A network of attorneys active in the St. Louis community
- Award-winning lawyers who have dedicated their careers to helping accident victims
When you work with us, our jackknife accident lawyers will do the following:
- Investigate the accident’s cause
- Gather evidence to support your case, including witness statements
- Communicate with insurance companies on your behalf
- Value all your damages to include in your claim
- Negotiate a fair settlement for your losses
- If needed, take your case to trial
Our experienced jackknife accident attorneys work on a contingency basis. That means you never have to pay fees upfront, and you don’t pay us unless we secure a settlement or court award for your claim. Contact us to request a free case evaluation or to learn more about our services.
Who Is Liable in a Jackknife Truck Accident?
Several parties may be liable for an accident. Among them are the following:
- The truck driver: If a truck driver has failed to operate the vehicle safely by going above the speed limit, becoming distracted, or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they may be liable for your damages.
- The trucking company: The company that owns the truck or employs the driver may also be at fault for failing to provide adequate training, screen their employees properly, or maintain the truck.
- Manufacturer: If a faulty part or piece of equipment caused the accident, the manufacturer of the defective device may be liable.
- Government agencies: Highway safety agencies may have contributed by ignoring dangerous road conditions or not properly warning of hazards.
- Other drivers: Other motorists can also be at fault for a jackknife accident if their actions led to the crash.
Missouri follows the comparative negligence doctrine, which means that accident victims can claim compensation for their losses even if they’re partly at fault for the crash. You may still recover damages if your actions partially contributed to a jackknife truck accident. However, the amount awarded will be diminished by the percentage of the fault you carry. For example, if you are 10 percent at fault and the truck driver is 90 percent at fault, you can recover 90 percent of your damages. Contact our team to learn more about comparative negligence or discover what your case may be worth.
What Are the Common Causes of Jackknife Accidents?
While several things can cause a truck to jackknife, there are some common causes of jackknife accidents:
- Uneven weight distribution: When 18-wheeler trucks are improperly loaded and do not have the correct weight distribution, it’s easy for the trailers to become unbalanced while in motion. This imbalance can cause the trailer to sway and jackknife.
- Hazardous road conditions: Inclement weather, uneven roads, and other poor road conditions can make the trailer slide to the sides of the cab and eventually jackknife the truck.
- Speeding: Traveling above the speed limit prevents trucks from slowing down at a safe pace for their loads. If the truck driver slams on the brakes, but the trailer’s momentum continues to pull it forward, the truck will jackknife.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers may be distracted or become fatigued while behind the wheel, leading to poor decisions and jackknifing accidents.
Get started with a free consultation with one of our skilled Personal Injury Lawyers today.
What Compensation Can You Claim in a Jackknife Truck Accident?
Jackknife accident victims can claim compensation for all the losses they incur from the crash, including:
- Medical bills
- Cost of rehabilitation
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Permanent disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- In some cases, punitive damages
Our team will help to identify all damages and fully value each one before filing your claim. We want you to get full compensation for all of your losses.
Schedule a Free Case Evaluation Today
Victims of jackknife truck accidents don’t have to go it alone. Our truck accident attorneys are ready to fight for you and your family.
Contact Brown & Crouppen to schedule a no-obligation consultation to learn more about our team and how we can help you fight for every dollar you deserve for your injuries and suffering.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
Brown & Crouppen Law Firm
211 N. Broadway Suite 1600 St. Louis, MO 63102
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION