ST. LOUIS LEFT-TURN CAR ACCIDENT LAWYER
This page has been written, edited, and reviewed by a team of legal writers following our comprehensive editorial guidelines. This page was approved by Founding Partner, Terry Crouppen who has more than 40 years of legal experience as a personal injury attorney. Our last modified date shows when this page was last reviewed.
Making left turns can be incredibly dangerous, especially in a busy city like St. Louis. If you’ve been in an accident with a driver making a left turn, you may have the right to recover compensation for your medical bills and distress. Our St. Louis left-turn car accident lawyers have the experience and resources you need to maximize your recovery.
- How Common Are Left-Turn Car Accidents?
- Why Should I Hire Brown & Crouppen If I’ve Been Hurt In A Left-Turn Car Accident In St. Louis?
- What Causes Most Left-Turn Car Accidents?
- Determining Liability For A Left-Turn Car Accident
- What Happens If I’m Partly To Blame For A Left-Turn Collision?
- Common Left-Turn Car Accident Injuries
- What Damages Can I Recover If I File A Lawsuit After A Left-Turn Crash?
- How Much Time Do I Have To Pursue Compensation After A Left-Turn Collision In Missouri?
- Trusted St. Louis Left-Turn Car Accident Lawyers Ready To Fight For You
Were you recently hit while making a left turn in St. Louis, Missouri? Did you get into an accident when another driver made a dangerous left turn? You could be entitled to damages for the costs of your medical treatment, lost earnings, and distress. The experienced St. Louis left-turn car accident lawyers at Brown & Crouppen can help you make the most of your fight for compensation.
Since 1979, our car accident attorneys have passionately represented crash victims and devastated families in St. Louis including Arnold, Clayton, Kirkwood, Ferguson, Fairview heights, Edwardsville, Washington, O’Fallon, St. Charles, and throughout the Midwest. Our goal is simple: to make a meaningful difference in the lives of every client we represent. We’ve won over $1 billion (and counting) in monetary awards in the process.
Benefit from a law firm that has the experience, resources, and passion you’ll need to win your left-turn car accident case. Call our law office in St. Louis, Missouri, today. Your first consultation is free.
WHY SHOULD I HIRE BROWN & CROUPPEN IF I’VE BEEN HURT IN A LEFT-TURN CAR ACCIDENT IN ST. LOUIS?
Why did your left-turn car accident happen? What factors contributed to the wreck? Is the driver who made the left turn at fault? Could someone else have contributed to the wreck? What happens if the insurance company tries to blame you?
It’s common to have these and many other questions after you get into a car accident. The good news is that you don’t have to figure out the answers on your own. In fact, you shouldn’t try to. Hiring an experienced St. Louis car accident lawyer to represent you not only increases the likelihood of a win, but also sets you up to maximize your financial award.
While you focus on recovering from the injuries you’ve sustained in your left-turn crash, our top-rated litigators will:
- Carefully investigate and examine the details of your collision
- Gather critical pieces of evidence, including red light photographs or surveillance footage, tire tracks, property damage, police reports, witness statements, and medical records
- Enlist the help of accident reconstructionists, medical professionals, and other experts
- Defend against claims that you caused or share some of the blame for the left-turn accident
- Skillfully handle settlement negotiations with the insurance company and at-fault parties
- Prepare to file a lawsuit and bring your car accident case to a jury, if necessary
Call our law office in St. Louis, Missouri, to learn more about our legal team and why you’ll want us to fight for you.
HOW COMMON ARE LEFT-TURN CAR ACCIDENTS?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, left turns contribute to about 22.2 percent of all car accidents nationwide.
Based on this statistic, more than 3,300 of the 15,049 car accidents reported in St. Louis in 2021 likely involved a vehicle turning left.
That’s about nine left-turn car accidents a day in St. Louis.
WHAT CAUSES MOST LEFT-TURN CAR ACCIDENTS?
Statistically speaking, more than one-fourth of car accidents in St. Louis involve a driver making a left turn. It’s easy to understand why when considering the danger.
When making a left turn, a vehicle must cross at least one lane of traffic. If a left turn is executed at an intersection, drivers not only have to account for oncoming traffic but also for vehicles, pedestrians, and bicyclists crossing the street. A driver must accurately calculate the speed of other motorists and be aware of potential hazards in order to make a left turn safely.
Accidents involving left-turning vehicles are, most often, the result of driver negligence. Many factors can contribute to left-turn collisions, including:
- Failing to look for oncoming vehicles before turning
- Failing to look for bicyclists or pedestrians crossing the road before turning
- Miscalculating the amount of time needed to make a safe turn
- Obstructed views, especially around blind curves
- Making an illegal left turn
- Failing to yield the right of way to oncoming traffic
- Misjudging the speed of oncoming traffic
- Distracted driving i.e texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Obscured traffic signs or signals
Sometimes, one or more of these (or other) factors can contribute to a left-turn car accident. To maximize your financial award, it’s important to identify everything that caused the wreck.
DETERMINING LIABILITY FOR A LEFT-TURN CAR ACCIDENT
Is the driver who makes a left turn always at fault and responsible for a resulting accident? Many times, yes. But not always.
Anyone who contributes to a left-turn collision can be financially responsible for property damage, injuries, and deaths that occur. This could include:
- The motorist making the left turn
- Other motorists
- Government agencies responsible for road design and maintenance
- Vehicle manufacturers, if a defective vehicle or component (e.g., faulty brakes) contributes to the u-turn accident
- Employers of negligent parties
Here are some important things to consider when determining liability for a left-turn accident:
- Who has the right of way? It’s usually oncoming vehicles unless there’s a traffic signal or stop sign.
- Was anyone speeding? It can be difficult to calculate turning time if other vehicles are speeding or driving at erratic speeds.
- Did anyone speed up to make it more difficult for the vehicle making the left turn to make their maneuver safely?
- Did the driver making the left turn use their turn signal?
Our left-turn car accident attorneys in St. Louis will carefully examine the circumstances of your collision to determine why it happened, how it could have been avoided, and who’s at fault. Once liability is clear, we’ll aggressively seek damages from anyone who directly or indirectly caused your injuries.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I’M PARTLY TO BLAME FOR A LEFT-TURN COLLISION?
Missouri is a pure comparative fault state. So, you can still recover compensation if you share some of the blame for a left-turn car accident, but your damages will be reduced.
Sharing 20 percent fault will result in a 20 percent reduction in your damages.
Expect negligent motorists and their insurance companies to try to blame you. The more fault you’re assigned, the less money they’ll have to pay for your resulting trauma. Brown & Crouppen will be ready to defend you against these (often unsubstantiated) claims of shared fault.
COMMON LEFT-TURN CAR ACCIDENT INJURIES
When a left turn isn’t executed properly, it can cause many different types of collisions, including T-bone accidents,pedestrians accident, bicycle accidents, sideswipes, head-on collisions, and rollovers.
Many times, these types of crashes cause serious and catastrophic injuries, such as:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Head injury
- Brain injury
- Neck and back injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Nerve damage
- Crushing injury
- Knee injury
- Leg injury
- Sprains and strains
- Cuts and lacerations
- Wrongful death of a family member
Seek medical treatment at the closest emergency room in St. Louis immediately after a left-turn car accident. Once your condition is stable, reach out to our experienced personal injury lawyers for help.
WHAT DAMAGES CAN I RECOVER IF I FILE A LAWSUIT AFTER A LEFT-TURN CRASH?
Both economic and non-economic damages can be awarded to car accident victims in St. Louis, Missouri.
Economic awards make victims financially whole, while non-economic damages make up for the intangible suffering they experience.
Our failure to yield car accident attorneys in St. Louis will help you seek compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- Lost wages
- Lost job opportunities
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Loss of consortium
If there’s clear and convincing evidence that another party acted intentionally or with gross negligence, a jury might decide that punitive damages should be awarded as well.
Our car accident attorneys in St. Louis will work hard to ensure that we know precisely what your case is worth and that your financial award reflects that.
Get started with a free consultation with one of our skilled Personal Injury Lawyers today.
HOW MUCH TIME DO I HAVE TO PURSUE COMPENSATION AFTER A LEFT-TURN COLLISION IN MISSOURI?
You’ll typically have five years from the date of your left-turn car accident to file a lawsuit.
If a left-turn car accident is fatal, you’ll have three years to pursue compensation in a wrongful death claim.
Five years might seem like a lot of time, but do not let the statute of limitations expire. Once that happens, you give up the opportunity to bring a claim and demand the compensation you need and deserve.
TRUSTED ST. LOUIS LEFT-TURN CAR ACCIDENT LAWYERS READY TO FIGHT FOR YOU
Have you or a family member been hurt in a left-turn car accident in St. Louis, Missouri? Brown & Crouppen can provide the kind of legal representation you deserve during this difficult time.
Our St. Louis left-turn car accident lawyers have decades of experience handling tough cases like yours, leading clients to well over $1 billion in monetary awards. We’re ready to take on the insurance company and negligent parties on your behalf, giving you the time you need to heal.
We work on contingency, so there’s no out-of-pocket cost to hire our car accident attorneys. You only pay if we win, and our fee comes right out of your financial award.
Your first case evaluation is free, so contact our St. Louis law office to get started today.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
Brown & Crouppen Law Firm
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION