KANSAS CITY U-TURN ACCIDENT LAWYER
This content has been written by a team of legal writers and reviewed by Terry Crouppen
U-turn accidents cause motorists’ injuries and deaths each year in Kansas City. When you’re facing mounting medical debt and an inability to work because of a u-turn accident, you need the assistance of the skilled personal injury team at Brown & Crouppen. We work to get you the compensation you deserve. Don’t let another driver’s reckless or negligent behavior put your family in dire financial straits any longer.
- Why You Need A U-Turn Accident Lawyer
- How Can Brown & Crouppen Help?
- What Types Of Compensation Can I Receive For A U-Turn Car Accident?
- U-Turn Laws In Kansas City
- How Is Fault Determined In A U-Turn Accident?
- What We Do
- What Can I Do After An Accident To Prove Fault?
- How Long Do I Have To File A Lawsuit?
- Get A Free Consultation With Us.
Motor vehicle crashes of any kind, including U-turn accidents, require an investigation to determine who was at fault for the collision. Insurance companies will try to settle quickly to avoid large payouts that hurt their bottom line, leaving you with less than you deserve. You need someone who can help with the investigation and who will negotiate for you.
That’s where our experienced attorneys can help. They will explain the legal implications of a U-turn accident and calculate the damages you’ve suffered. The personal injury team at Brown & Crouppen has assisted thousands of accident victims and their families in recovering the compensation they are rightfully owed.
WHY YOU NEED A U-TURN ACCIDENT LAWYER
Injuries suffered in an automobile accident can be a life-altering experience. When you are suffering from the pain of your injuries, the bills are piling up and you’re unable to return to work, it may be tempting to take whatever sum the insurance company is offering. However, it can take weeks or months to know the full extent of the damage you’ve suffered and the compensation you’ll need for long-term care and expenses. Our lawyers have access to experts in the field who can calculate these expenses and estimate what you will need moving forward. We’re also skilled at negotiating with insurance companies. If you’ve been involved in an accident caused by another driver who made an illegal U-turn in the Kansas City area, call Brown & Crouppen today. We specialize in personal injury and wrongful death suits, and we have the background and experience you need to receive a fair settlement.
HOW CAN BROWN & CROUPPEN HELP?
Our Kansas City car accident lawyers have been committed to providing high-quality legal representation in Kansas City, Raytown, Crestview, and beyond since 1979. We’re one of the largest personal injury law firms in the Midwest, with 10 offices and more than 50 attorneys, so your case will receive the personal attention it deserves.
We will listen to your story and thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding your U-turn accident. We’ve helped our clients recover more than $1 billion in compensation, including:
- $900,000 truck accident settlement
- $850,000 wrongful death car accident
- $130,000 motorcycle accident
At Brown & Crouppen, our lawyers work on a contingency basis. There are no up-front costs. If you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid. Call today for a free case evaluation.
WHAT TYPES OF COMPENSATION CAN I RECEIVE FOR A U-TURN CAR ACCIDENT?
Compensatory damages include all economic and non-economic impacts of your accident, such as:
- Medical bills, medication, therapy, and long-term care expenses
- Damage to property not covered by auto insurance
- Lost wages or loss of future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life or loss of consortium
In some cases, the court may also award punitive damages, which are meant to punish a defendant or deter them from behaving recklessly in the future. Punitive damages are typically reserved for situations where the defendant acted in blatant disregard for the safety of others.
WHAT FACTORS CAN IMPACT A SETTLEMENT AMOUNT?
Many factors may influence the average amount of your car accident settlement, including:
- The severity of your injuries and whether you will require lifelong treatment or care
- The limits of all the insurance policies involved in the case
- The credibility of witnesses and the strength of evidence against the defendant
- Whether you shared any fault in the accident
U-TURN LAWS IN KANSAS CITY
Missouri traffic laws allow U-turns under the following circumstances:
- When a vehicle is traveling in the far left lane at an intersection where U-turns are permitted
- When a U-turn Only sign is present
- When a green left-turn arrow is present along with a sign permitting U-turns
It’s illegal to turn a vehicle around to proceed in the opposite direction at an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light or police officer. Anyone who executes an illegal U-turn can be charged with a Class C misdemeanor (Mo. Rev. Stat. 304.341).
Defendants who are charged with executing an illegal U-turn will have a more difficult time arguing that they were not at fault for a U-turn accident, and compensation in the case may be higher as a result.
WHAT CAUSES KANSAS CITY U-TURN ACCIDENTS?
Some of the most frequent causes of U-turn accidents are motorists who:
- Execute a U-turn illegally
- Make a U-turn from a parked or stopped position on the side of the road
- Turn through a turning lane marked in yellow
- Neglect to look for oncoming traffic before making a U-turn
HOW IS FAULT DETERMINED IN A U-TURN ACCIDENT?
Missouri is a comparative fault state, which means that the plaintiff in a lawsuit must be able to prove that the defendant’s actions contributed to the accident and the damages that resulted. Even if you share some of the blame for the accident, you can still revocer if you are not entirely responsible. If you are partially repsonbile for the accident, your compensation would be reduced by the percentage at which you are found to be at fault.
For example, if you’re awarded a $100,000 settlement but are found to be 10 percent at fault for the accident, the most you can recover under the law is $90,000.
WHAT WE DO
Our job is to prove the other driver was at fault for your U-turn accident by:
- Investigating the circumstances of the accident to identify who is responsible for damages
- Gathering evidence to establish fault and liability
- Hiring experts who can speak to the extent of your injuries and estimate the value of your claim
- Negotiating with insurance companies for a fair settlement
- Litigating your case if it goes to court
WHAT CAN I DO AFTER AN ACCIDENT TO PROVE FAULT?
Some steps you can take following an accident to ensure you have proof of fault and are compensated appropriately include:
- File a police report.
- Take photos of the accident scene, including any street signs or traffic signals and the damage to your vehicle and other vehicles involved.
- Document all injuries to yourself and any passengers in your vehicle at the time of the accident.
- File a claim to collect compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
- Hire a Kansas City car accident attorney.
Get started with a free consultation with one of our skilled Personal Injury Lawyers today.
HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO FILE A LAWSUIT?
Missouri places a statute of limitations on filing car accident lawsuits in the state. Residents have five years from the date of a motor vehicle accident to file (MO. Rev.Statute 516.120). As time goes on, important evidence and witnesses to the accident may be lost. That’s why it’s important to reach out to a Kansas City car accident lawyer soon after your U-turn accident.
GET A FREE CONSULTATION WITH US.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by another driver making an illegal or dangerous U-turn, contact the team at Brown & Crouppen for a free consultation today. We can answer any questions you may have and advise you on the next steps to take. When your life has been turned upside down, we can’t restore your physical health, but we can give you and your family the financial peace of mind you need to focus on healing from your accident.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
Brown & Crouppen Law Firm
2345 Grand Boulevard #675 Kansas City, MO 64108 (816) 670-4701
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULATION